Plant-based protein firm Beyond Meat Inc. opened its first manufacturing facility outside the United States in China on Wednesday, according to a report.
- Located in the Jiaxing Economic & Technological Development Zone (JXEDZ) near Shanghai, the facility is expected to significantly increase the speed and scale of production and distribution.
- The facility will produce plant-based pork, beef, and poultry products such as Beyond Pork for the Chinese market. It will also have research and development capabilities for future product offerings.
- Beyond Meat said the facility marks a commitment to investing in China as a region for long-term growth. It will also enable the firm to accelerate its innovation and product rollouts to remain competitive within the region.
- The firm first entered China through a partnership with Starbucks China. It has since partnered with KFC, Pizza Hut, Jindingxuan, GangLi Beijing, Slow Boat Brewery, Hema, METRO China, and others.
- Beyond Meat will also open its first owned manufacturing facility in Europe this year.