The United States government should be able to start delivering $1,400 stimulus checks once a new aid bill is passed, according to Reuters.
- Tax experts say the checks could be delivered almost immediately with direct payments received as early as this week, if the $1.9 trillion bill is passed.
- The White House estimates nearly 160 million households to benefit from the bill. This includes those incarcerated, with non-citizen spouses, and relatives of those who died last year.
- The bill also includes expanded child tax credits of up to $3,000 per child or $3,600 for each child under the age of six. This will be paid in monthly installments from July through December.
- The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) could face hurdles after budget cuts and obsolete technology in recent years. It handles over 190 million tax returns yearly with only over 70,000 employees.
- “Treasury stands ready to implement the direct payment check program as soon as the American Rescue Plan is passed,” a U.S Treasury spokeswoman said.
Leave a Reply